Saturday, August 21, 2010

Packing: An Exercise in Excess

It is only when you lay out all your clothes that you realize how many you have. In a closet or dresser, one cannot fully grasp the volume of cotton and synthetic fiber that one owns. But once everything is laid flat, all of a sudden, it seems as though my bedroom has become a department store loading dock - clothes strewn about everywhere.

I've also stocked up on travel toiletries. Mini cans of shaving cream, mini tubes of toothpaste - what more could a guy want? Now I just have to make sure I don't forget any of the other important things, like my passport or some cash.

There is a certain finality in packing. In just about 61 hours, I will be on a plane. That is crazy. I still don't think it's hit me that I will be leaving America for an entire semester. I take that back, I think it has hit me, but I have not freaked out. Maybe that's what is different: I'm not terrified. Sure, I might be a bit nervous, but not in the same, "Oh my god, what if no one likes me, why couldn't I stay home and not go to kindergarten?" sense. Is it possible that I could just be growing up? You know how you feel that emptiness in your stomach when you're really scared - well whenever I start to feel like that, it feels like there is also something else there. I have a strong confidence in my abilities. That confidence is likely a result of comparing myself to other people I know who will also be in Luxembourg (and knowing that I surely must be more prepared than them).

Once I am finished packing everything, I will certainly include full documentation of all that I brought. Upon my return, I'll also have to catalog everything that I return with - just to compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment