Monday, October 25, 2010

One Night at Pitcher...

The cheers went up again as the guys put some sort of gel on Christophe's uncle's head. As they took the razor to his hair, more and more cheering filled the crowded bar - poor guy: he was already wearing a tutu that did not complement his portly physique; shaving his head and eyebrows was not gonna help his image at all. Wait, let's rewind:

We walked into the bar around 8 pm - Megan, Devon, and Pat were already there, and had established position at a small table near the door. We (Erin, Tiffany, Brad, and I) squeezed in around a few other chairs and the bench by the window. Of course, Pitcher was hopping. Turns out it was this guys' bachelor party, which means things were gonna get wild.

Apparently, as we learned from the guy sitting at the table next to us, bachelor parties are a little different in Europe. It's supposed to be no fun for the groom-to-be, and when I say "no fun" I mean, "humiliating." They made the poor guy wear a two piece tutu frilly thing, so his beer gut was hanging out, and I can only imagine he was cold.  Oh, and I forgot to mention - he was handcuffed to a pole in the bar. All his friends had t-shirts on that had been made for this occasion. They were in Luxembourgish, but we had our friend Christophe translate for us: the shirts said something to the effect of "Why solve problems with another person that I don't have by myself?" Basically: mocking the institution of marriage.

Christophe was an interesting character: to say the least. He was 21, smoked like a chimney, played bass and guitar, didn't know who his dad was, spoke great English, was still in high school, and it was his uncle who was the lucky (read: unlucky) bachelor. He had lots of things to say about America: such as how it's crazy that everyone feels the need to own weaponry, how it's insane that 21 year-olds can be so immature, or that you can drive when you're 16. He was real chill though, plays in a band - maybe he'll make it big someday? His life's dream was to be a producer in Nashville, Tennessee. Christophe also had an interesting understanding of the social nuances of Americans...

Case in point: when the bar was getting pretty crowded and chairs were becoming a hot commodity - he asked if Tiffany would sit on his lap. Tiffany, being the upstanding citizen and lady, respectfully declined. I mean, that seemed a little odd to me, but then Christophe turned to me, and asked if I would sit on his lap... (uh...no?). He kept saying, "It's just for the experience. It's ironic, isn't it? Every guy wants a girl on his lap, and I want a guy." I mean, I personally was just not comfortable sitting on this stranger's lap. Anyways, he continued later on, when he asked Megan if she would go on a walk with him, just the two of them. Luckily here, Megan had her wits about her and was wise enough to decline going on a walk with this strange, Luxembourgish boy into the dark streets of Esch. Like I said, Christophe was chill for a while, but then it just got weird.

Sidenote: I taught Christophe the important aspects of American culture, such as:
1. How to fist pound (with the help of Tiffany and Brad, Christophe learned such classics as The Octopus, The Spaceship, The Parallel-Park, The Snail, and The Explosion / Black Hole / Theoretical White Hole)
2. Slang - I taught him the words swag, bro, shred, and chill. Pretty much all the basics.

Speaking of chill - for the guy's bachelor party, the bar staff at Pitcher had cooked up a bunch of chili. So they just started passing around bowls of chili to everyone at the bar - it was delicious (and tasted like America). So that was pretty awesome, as is all free food.

Oh, and we were drinking this whole time (I mean, we were at a bar, so yeah). We started off with a pitcher of Black Nickel, each had a couple of shots, then moved on to Purple Nickel, had a couple more shots, and finally we had some Red Nickel and more shots. For reference: Purple / Black / Red Nickel are some of the house specialties of mixed drinks. Christophe was trying to explain what was actually in them - he said it was like Mayella (sp?) some Brazilian liquor that's not vodka, and that the rest was secret. But anyways, I don't think it's very strong - as I (a barely amateur drinker) had 10 or 11 shots in the three hours we were there and felt (almost) completely fine. I mean, it was either that the drinks weren't that strong, or my Irish genetics are finally kicking in (haha, thanks for those Blue!). Either way, I was fine.

All in all, a superb evening. It was a lot of fun to just hang out, chat, relax, and meet and talk to new people. Pitcher is so cool, I'll be going back for sure (as in like Thursday, once midterms are over). Oh, speaking of midterms - I need to go study for my econ exam tomorrow...Oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment